I’m not sure if I told you, but Tal and I moved in together! That’s right, my friends. And we love this place. Ayla (our cat) loves it, too; and since she’s the boss it’s important that she’s pleased. Today was our first brunch here with friends. I can’t tell you how much work we’ve put into this place, and to now see that it isn’t filled simply with tools and paint prep materials but actually resembles a home is utterly delightful. Don’t get me wrong, there’s still so much to do, but at least we have a functioning kitchen.
And this, my friends, is how we do brunch.
The Brunch Menu
Mimosas (courtesy of Betty)
Kale-Pesto Beet Salad
Curried Cauliflower with Shaved Almonds & Golden Raisins
Kale, Chard, Spinach Winter Salad with Shaved Fennel and Pomegranates
It’s finally autumn, so I’ve taken it upon myself to roast pretty much everything I eat these days. Everything. You have been warned.
It was Laura Peskin who introduced me to the beets and pesto combination. It’s genius. I’m currently working on a kale-pesto variety that I think works really well with the roasted beets for the project with Jenny. When it’s ready I’ll share the recipe with you. For now you’ll have to wait in anticipation.
The Curried Cauliflower salad is inspired by a similar salad at Lemonade, the one at theMOCA. It’s so delicious. Let me tell you, curry flavors go very well with roasted cauliflower. I’ve definitely added my own twist to it, but this is my attempt to recreate that salad at Lemonade.
As for the winter salad, I’m all about using the pomegranates from my mother’s tree. I usually make this salad with cumin-roasted delicata squash, but I didn’t have any on hand this morning. When I do, I’ll post the recipe. It’s divine.
Curried Cauliflower with
Shaved Almonds & Golden Raisins
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 3-4 Tablespoons cumin, turmeric, salt,pepper combination, to lightly coat
- a liberal amount of evoo, to coat
- 1 cup shaved almonds
- ¼ cup chopped chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop/separate the cauliflower into small florets, put in a bowl
- Toss cauliflower with spice mixture and evoo until completely coated
- On a baking sheet roast the cauliflower for 25-30 minutes.
- Set roasted cauliflower aside in a bowl until cool.
- Toss in almonds, golden raisins, and lemon juice.
- Top with chopped chives, optional.