Hi, there. It's been awhile. Why I never seem to have my camera on me is a mystery. I've been cooking a lot lately. More so than usual, in fact. Harissa Roasted Butternut Squash with Crispy Spiced Chickpeas, Parsley, and Lebneh. Chanterelle and White Wine Risotto. Shaved Brussels Hash with a Fried Egg. Enough Shakshuka to last a lifetime. The Best Skillet Potatoes This Side of the Mississippi. There were also two instances of homemade pasta -- one in the form of lasagna and the other as ravioli. Oh and I finally perfected my pomodoro sauce -- using a Vitamix. Not to mention I baked my first three tier cake using David Lebovitz's Fresh Ginger Cake and my own concoction of a Lemon Zest Mascarpone Cream Cheese Frosting. Let's not forget the Valrhona dark chocolate version of Molly Wizenberg's Winning Hearts and Minds Cake. The point is, I've been busy cooking through my feelings. And I just wanted to apologize for not sharing. I'll try to be better, friends.
Creamy Polenta with
Crispy Shallots and Mushrooms
1 cup dried polenta
5 cups water
salt | pepper, to taste
lemon zest of one lemon
mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1. Combine polenta, water, salt, pepper in a deep pot. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for about 40 minutes. Stir often.
2. In a skillet, fry the mushrooms and shallots in a generous portion of olive oil (or butter) and salt | pepper until crispy.
3. Once the polenta is thick and creamy, add olive oil, lemon zest, and more salt | pepper to taste.
4. Serve: pour polenta in bowls, top with mushroom shallot mix. (Above image already shows the mushrooms and shallots mixed in the polenta -- sorry!)
5. Possible toppings: roasted vegetables, avocado, sriracha, and, of course, a fried egg!